Who We Are
The Friends of the Kern County Library, Inc. is a non-profit organization that supports the goal of excellent library service and resources for all the people of Kern County. With used book and magazine sales and through other activities, the Friends of the Kern County Library, Inc. helps endorse programs, the purchase of library materials, funds for the countywide Summer Reading Program, and more. Get into contact with your local local Friends group at your Library Branch!
2020 Book Sales
Book donations given to the Kern County Library that are not accepted for the collection are given to the Friends of the Kern County Library, Inc. to sell. The first day of each sale is for Members Only.
Please Note: Book sales are also held by FOL groups at various branches throughout Kern County. Check with your Local Branch for book sales in your community.
Book Sales (at Beale Memorial Library)
• 3/11 – 3/14
Meetings will be held in the Lake Room at Beale Memorial Library as follows:
Meeting Dates: (at Beale Memorial Library)
• Coming Soon
*Check with your local branch for Friends of the Library meetings in your community.
The Friends of the Kern County Library, Inc. and individual branch Friends groups are completely dependent on the time given by volunteers in various capacities and are actively recruiting new volunteers. Currently, there are two classification of volunteers:
- Weekly Volunteers that sort, clean, price, & pack books/materials for future Book Sales
- Book Sale Volunteers that perform various tasks associated with the Book Sale itself
- A Packer/Unpacker – Helps before & after Book Sale with set-up & take-down
- A Counter at point of sale – Helps count number of books for each purchase
- A Cashier – Handles money transactions at the cashier station
- Customer Service Guide – Helps customers, answers questions, assists in carrying out purchases, refills tables with more books, hands out shopping bags, & ensures general customer satisfaction
- A Heavy Lifter – Responsible for lifting heavy tables, boxes of books, moving furniture, and other tasks associated with the Book Sale (approx. 30-35lbs)
If you have some time and would like to meet new people, share, and increase your knowledge of books, and help the Library – we would like to hear from you! If interested, please call (661) 868-0796 and leave a voicemail.
Board of Directors
Georgia Bailey – President
Darleen Jehnsen – Vice President
Theresa Borkovich – Secretary
Diane Ackley – Treasurer
Gary Frazier • Ginger Smith