Online Payment Frequently Asked Questions
- Is my payment secure?
Yes, all payments are secured by 128-bit Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) which is in compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS).
- What forms of payment are accepted when I pay online?
The library can only accept MasterCard, Visa and Discover credit cards and debit cards displaying the MasterCard or Visa symbol at this time.
- Can I use PayPal for my online payment?
No, the Library’s payment system does not support payments via PayPal.
- Is there a service fee charged when paying online?
Kern County Library does not charge a service fee to pay your bills online with a credit/debit card.
- How do I get a receipt when I pay my bills online?
After the credit card information is processed the system will show a receipt that can be printed. If you are paying from a library computer regular print fees will be charged.
- I do not want to make my payment online, can I still pay by credit card?
Yes, you can either pay over the phone or you may pay in person at your local library branch.
- I don’t have a MasterCard, Visa or Discover credit/debit card, how do I make my payment?
- Pay in person by cash, check or money order at any Kern County Library.
- Pay by mail with a check or money order: Kern County Library, 701 Truxtun Ave, Bakersfield CA 93301. Be sure to include your library card number.
- I have questions about the payment that I made online, who do I contact?
If you have question/problems regarding a payment that you have made please contact the Library’s Business Office at 661-868-0704, Monday-Friday 8AM- 5PM.
( back to top )
Fines and Fees Questions
- I have more questions about my library account, who should I contact?
If you have questions regarding the amount(s) due contact your local library branch BEFORE making your payment online.
- Is there a minimum amount that can be paid online?
Any amount can be paid.
- Can I make a partial payment?
Partial amounts are accepted, but borrowing privileges will remain suspended until your bill is paid in full.
- When will the payment I made be reflected on my library account?
This will depend on the option you use for your credit card payment. Payments will be reflected as follows:
- If you use Smart PAY your payment will automatically be reflected on your library account.
- If you use the option for payment without a PIN# or Library Card number:
- It will take 2-3 business days for the payment made to be reflected on your library account.
- When you visit the library, please be sure to have your printed receipt with you as proof of the payment, in the event that the payment has not yet been posted to your account.
- I want to renew items on my account, but I have fines, should I pay online?
This will depend on the option you use for your credit card payment:
- If you use Smart PAY and pay off the account in full, then YES make your payment online.
- If you use the option for payment without a PIN# or Library Card number, then NO do not make your payment online. You will need to either contact the library by phone or visit your local library branch to make your payment before you are able to renew items.
- My account is in Collections can I still pay my bill online?
- If your account is a KERN County Collection account then you CAN pay your fee online.
- If your account was sent to collections by a different county then you must contact that location for payment arrangements.
- If you are unsure of the collection account location or have any questions DO NOT pay your account online. Please contact the Collections Coordinator by phone at 661-868-0765.
( back to top )
Research Fee Questions
- When should I make payment for research services?
You should pay for research services rendered after you have received an invoice from the Kern County Library.
- Where do I find my reference number?
Your reference number (REF #) is a six digit number (20XX-XX) found at the top and bottom of your invoice.
- I made my payment online, when should I expect to receive my requested research?
Once payment is received it can take 2-3 Business days before your requested material will be mailed to you.
( back to top )
- Is there a limit to how much money I can donate?
No, there is no limit to the amount of the donation.
- How do I make a donation?
To make a donation, go to the donation page, determine which type of donation you wish to make and then follow the provided instructions.
- May I make a donation to a specific branch?
Yes, you may designate your donation for a specific branch by using the drop down menu located on the donation page, select and click on the branch.
- May I designate how my donation is to be used? For example, books, AV materials, programming or operations?
Yes, you may designate your donation for specific use by adding the information at the end of your name in the customer id area of the credit card transaction.
- How do I make a memorial or honorarium donation?
Go to our donation page and follow the instructions found there.
- Will the family be notified of my donation in memory of their loved one?
To have the family notified of your memorial gift, please fill out the Memorial and Honorarium Donation form.
- I donated to the library, and need a receipt for my taxes, how do I get it?
Please use the copy of your receipt that you printed after your transaction was completed.
- I don’t want to donate by Visa or MasterCard, it there another way I can donate?
Yes, you may send your donation check/money order payable to Kern County Library Donations (no cash please) and send it to your local branch or to: Kern County Library, 701 Truxtun Ave., Bakersfield, CA 93301 or visit your local branch and make your donation there.
- I can’t donate money. May I donate books, audio-visual materials, equipment, etc.?
The Kern County Library and the County of Kern does have a policy that regulates donations. Please call staff at your local Kern County Library branch or the Kern County Library Headquarters at 661-868-0700 to discuss your donation.
( back to top )
Kern County Library. All Rights Reserved